Thursday, March 08, 2007

Dad Gets a "BREAK"

The 2007 annual college reunion golf trip was in Phoenix. Same group of guys as usual, but four days of golf this time out.

We started with an Afternoon round at Ocotillo, "a Troon Golf Experience"- whatever that means! The course was in great shape- too bad my swing had some rust on it! I did manage a 91 - 45/46 (7 total pars) and I did win 2 skins as I got par on the hardest par 5 one of my 3 handicap holes.

After dinner on the deck we drove to Gold Canyon, Arizona, checked in and my roommate, Steve and I began our nightly battle of snoring....

We played Gold Canyon's 2 courses over the next 2 days. These courses were incredibly beautiful. Cut into the side of the mountains and wonderfully maintained.

Sidewinder was up first on Friday. I shot 43/50 for a 93. We moved back to the blue tees for the second 9. 4 pars total and no skins for me.

That night some of us went to the Indian casino where I turned 100$ into 300$ at the black jack table- by far my best blackjack experience EVER. Joel had an even better night...

Dinosaur Mountain was up on Saturday. I shot a 49/48 for a 97. This course was higher in the mountains and the wind was howling!! I'd down club 2 for the head wind and elevation and then the wind would stop during my swing and I'd be over the green! a VERY tough day to play, but a great course all the same. I had 2 pars for the whole day but won 9 skins as I shot par on the hardest par 5 on the course which had 8 carryovers before it. Guess who bought dinner and drinks and cigars that night?
Our Sunday round was at the Raven golf club. Nice track, picture perfect. I shot a 50/42 for a 92 with 4 pars and a birdie. I did have one shot from another fairway and over the learning center to save double bogey. Can you say Scramble!! I did win 4 skins again on a par 5 with a stroke advantage.

Whitehouse tried to gain an advantage with an extra big driver, but alas, this was too much club !


After the round we headed to the airport where we met up with the Kingsley group who had gone to see the Cubs lose to the Sox in Mesa.
Another wonderful trip - thanks to Tom and Ed for setting everything up.
Jim Kingsley was the big skins winner for the trip with 21 total Skins.
Looking forward to next year in Ft. Myers.

1 Comments:

At 9:07 PM , Blogger Ron Hager said...

Hey Paul
I went fishing in Canada with you and it is not your snoring I remember. If your roommate Steve had the same experience I did, he is very impressed with a different aspect of sharing breathing space with you.

Ron Hager
knotmyline@earthlink.net
my blog http://www.knotmyline.com/

(Nicky sent me the link to your blog. I like it and added you to my blogroll.)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home